Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Penne with Tomato & Basil

I had the house to myself tonight.
I don't know why that makes dinner feel so different, but it does.
I recently bought a basil plant, and it's succulent & sweet smelling leaves, have been calling me.
So tonight, I decided on a simple pairing- tomato & basil.

I used some canned tomatoes- last years harvest from my Dad's farm.
I poured myself a glass of delicious wine, from said farm, and put on Andrea Bocelli (loud).
Recipe (for 2)
Ingredients:
1 Tbs olive oil
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic
10 or so basil leaves
1 cup passata
1 cup stewed roma tomatoes, chopped (canned is fine)
1/2tsp fuoco d'amore or chilli sauce
1 Tbs red wine
Salt & pepper to taste

1 Tbs pine nuts
1 Tbs bread crumbs
2 basil leaves, chopped

Method:
1.Heat oil in frypan, on medium heat.
Add onion, and cook til golden. Add garlic, cooking until softened.
2.Add remaining ingredients.
3.Cook pasta as per directions.
4.Place pine nuts, bread crumbs and basil leaves on a tray, under the grill (broiler) until golden.
Pour into a motar and pestle, and beat around until evenly textured.
5.When the pasta is about ready, add pine nut mixture to sugho(pasta sauce). Turn off heat.
6.Drain pasta.
Add to frypan, and stir sugho through well.

No comments: